Friday, May 10, 2013

Return to the Mountains

This title may be misleading, I never lived in or stopped visiting the mountains, I just stopped blogging about it. So here I intend to continue in this phenomena people call blogging, until I was again lose interest, or fail to catch anyone else's. 

So first a recap of what I have been up to and to set up where I am now:

I started coaching again, my team is young again, ranging from age 13 to 16, so I've had to change focus a bit having previously coached four 18 year old guys, but the members are strong and most of them are committed and passionate about climbing, so it is fun and rewarding.
 I found myself my life long climber partner a while back, but in September of 2011 we made it official. This is us on our anniversary backpacking trip last year in Monkman Provincial Park, camped at Shire Falls. Since mine and Ashley's wedding we have met and made a lot of new friends, most of which share our passion for the great outdoors.
 While working at Valhalla Pure Outfitters last year, a climbing and outdoor gear shop, I became good friends with this guy, Tyler, who motivates and pushes me to progress and put full effort into climbing on a regular basis. 
 Dave with his balls to the wall gutsy style came to was in grande prairie last year for a season, and I'm sure he will show up again. Another climber who is residing in Lethbridge along with Dave now is Trent Hoover, he will come up regularly with his contributions.
 Whenever we are on the coast we make sure to visit my long time friend Devin and his wife Anna-maria for an adventure.
 Being in Grande Prairie(and in northern Canada) most of our climbing is indoor, but we try to keep things interesting (this was halloween) with the incredibly strong Carlee, Carl and "Marcus" (L to R)
And sometimes I get some pretty incredible experiences like this one. All of these pictures not only show friends (although the people are the most important aspect) but represent adventures I've been on over the last year or so. I will end up retro blogging on these adventures and others, but I'll probably save those stories for boring times in my life (like exams next semester or strings of bad weather). But As for now: climbing season has begun!
The approach to Juno Wall, in Jasper National Park last weekend.

 One thing I don't intend on doing is pretending that I'm someone I'm not. With that this is my first outdoor sport climb, after almost five years of gym climbing, bouldering and top-roping my friend Tyler and I got on the sharp end. It was a 5.8 called Bleeding Heart Show, but it was fun, and with the logistics figured out, we're ready to take on some bigger challenges now, and really looking forward to getting back out!

Tyler during his flash, enjoying the hot weather and freedom of being on lead.


So watch for more to come, I have plenty of retro blogging to do, with plenty of photos of bouldering, backpacking, travelling and other adventures. I have some video footage as well I hope to get edited and up soon as well, Till next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment